Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

It's that time again; you know...when no one will be happy until they are groaning in misery from eating too much, and being sleepy, with all of those dishes yet to do! It's the one holiday where I would not mind being a guy..you know..eat, rub your stomach in misery, and head down and watch a game (only I would stitch), take a snooze, and then come back upstairs where everything miraculously is sparkling. How easy can it get? I'm just kidding. My DH is so deserving of anything I could ever want to do for him. I just don't want to do dishes for him. LoL! Is your house a diabetic nightmare on Thanksgiving, too? Yeah, we kinda go over the top. I like to try new things each year. This year it is Pumpkin Cheesecake. I just took it out of the oven..there is nothing pretty, really, about a cheesecake, but omg is it one of my favorite desserts any time of the year. Anyhow...I'm doing as much stuff as I can today, so in addition to that, I baked our favorite pound cake this morning. I've had this recipe, from my mother-in-law, for almost 40 years. It has rum extract instead of the traditional vanilla, and boy is it yummy. I had to sample it, of course. Paulette and her family are coming over tomorrow, and I just would feel so bad if they got sick or something...

It was so yummy with coffee.

I always do my table the day before Thanksgiving..I've run the gamut of formal flower arrangements with all sorts of styles of candles in my French Provencial days..now that I'm enjoying being a laid back sort of gal, I like to be a little more creative..so I start with the table runner and just start layering until I am satisfied.


I went to the grocer last night and found a stray pumpkin (that cost me more than the BIG ones we put outside on the porch) and some little sugar pears. The little containers they are in are black, and Breanna gave them to me with a matching tea pot last year for Christmas.

I found the largest pomegranites I've ever seen, personally..the little pumpkin tea pot is from my Audrey..

I added some Danish acorn squash. Everything was kinda dull, so I simply sprayed some vegetable spray on my hands and rubbed them down well and then wiped them off..I added about 10 votives..and I'm very pleased with the effect.



Our Thanksgiving Menu:
Turkey/stuffing/gravy
Honey Baked Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Corn
Sweet Potato Casserole (a.k.a. dessert!)
Cranberry Sauce
Rolls
Chocolate Cream Pies
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Pound Cake
Gingerbread with cranberries/nuts
Tea
And as always when Paulette is present--since she thinks she is the queen--coffee
And I just get a phone call and she asks "Are we having punch?" You know..because we don't have enough sugar already. Kwim?
Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours. (Pretend there is nice music here now.....)

12 comments:

DonnaTN said...

Looks beautiful and sounds yummy! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Too bad Paulette won't be able to bring any of her apple pie.

Katrina said...

Hmmmm, I see a little sugar shock coming on, LOL. Everything sounds yummy and your table is gorgeous. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Margaret said...

Oh that looks so good! And your table is beauteous! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your table scape is wonderful!

I must say that pound cake is one of my favorites. Yours looks delish!

Sharon said...

Your table looks so nice and that cake, omg it looks so delicious. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with Paulette and her lovely family. Our menus are very similar except I wish I had that raspberry cheesecake over at my house. LOL

Kim said...

Your table looks beautiful MM! And oh my WORD that pound cake looks sooo good!!! You know you guys are my fav' fam, next to my own, and I send you big hugs and warm wishes for a fabulous day tomorrow! :o)

Paulette said...

Oh..um... we were having Honeybaked Ham, but I sort of ate all 7.46 pounds of it. Okay, not really, but no punch = no ham.

The table looks gorgeous!! As usual, a perfect hostess. :)

LLLLLLLY!

Berit said...

We are trying an easy-peasy Ginger Pumpkin Tart my friend forwarded to me this year. You pound (lbs.) cake looks to-die(it)-for! ;)

I think that is very conscientious of you to consider Paulette and her brood so carefully as you prepare an appetizing feast for the both eyes and gastronomy--I'll bet that she doesn't know what she has in you. ;)

Your menu sounds too delicious.
Love your tablesetting, as well.

Anonymous said...

I hate seeing it because just know that Paul and I are wishing to be there....love you and happy thanksgiving! I am thankful for MY MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHER! LLY!

Siobhán said...

Oh wow, Marsha, I just love your table display!! Tablescape is what it's called, right?! I call it eye candy. It sounds like you have a wonderful menu planned. The pound cake looks incredible! I hope you enjoyed your day. Enjoy the weekend, too!

Barbara said...

I love the way you did the center of your table, it's really pretty. Ours wasn't quite as fancy, we had two bowls of olives, black and green. grin
So did you make punch??

Meire Aparecida Rubio de Amorim said...

Hi ,i´m meire and i´m from Brasil,That look is so good!!! I hope this day is a wonderfull day. Sorry my english is not very good. bye from Brazil