Monday, January 9, 2012

New finish, new start...

 I am blown away at what my favorite bloggers have accomplished in the last year. I am humbled by their plans for this year. What an inspiration! Here is my first start for the new year, remembering that I do have several unfinished things in my basket, which I will not mention until each one is finished. Christmas Garden--Blackbird Designs--was a drop-everything project for me. If I didn't know better, I would swear this was made for me! I've had a good bit more stitching time in the past week than I normally do, and I have enjoyed every minute of this piece. I am using 36-count Vintage Sandcastle with the specified fibers/colors.


Needing a break from stitching, I decided to make myself feel really good by finishing something. I completed the hand work on the binding on this simple holiday toile quilt last night while watching Downton Abby. The backing is the same fabric as the middle.




Is there any better feeling than accomplishing something? As always, thank you so much for stopping by.

31 comments:

BrendaS said...

Your quilt is GORGEOUS and what a nice start on Christmas Garden -- LOVE IT:)

Giovanna said...

Christmas Garden has a hypnotic quality to it, hasn't it? That's a lovely start, and your quilt is so pretty.

Marion said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous! I envy anyone that can do that craft...I cannot.

I love Christmas Garden! I've seen it on a few Blogs now...ummm...may have to add that to my stash....

Take care
Marion

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt. I wish I could sew like that.
And I agree with Gio. Your Christmas Garden is so perfect. Love it too.
Going to start mine on vacation.
Love also the fabric you chose for it.

Faye said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous~~ omg.... I have had to go back and look at it 3 times!!!!

Something about the BBD design that has nearly made me break down and putchase it....Could it be the nice large size?? or perhaps the wonderful colors in it?? I am like you, it is drop dead gorgeous~~ I surely will be more inspired as I follow your progress....Beautiful start so far~

HOpe your day is fantastic...Again, thanks for your inspiration! Take care, Faye

Chris said...

That is one BEAUTIFUL quilt. What a treasure.
Christmas Garden is looking great. I love the colors in it too.

Margaret said...

Both projects are just gorgeous! I love toile, and of course I love red. lol! And Christmas Garden is wonderful!

barbara said...

Oh my heavens, that quilt is exquisite!!

And I love your progress with the BBD. I think that design struck a chord with many stitchers!

Catherine said...

Who doesn't love red, and a toile pattern no less! Love it!
And the BBD! Love it! I was able to see it at the market in Baltimore - it's a stunning finish!

the striped rose said...

Christmas Garden is beautiful! That quilt - ahhh! - the perfect project to work on during Downton Abbey!

Jan said...

Your quilt is so pretty, Marsha! And you are right, nothing like a completion to give us that satisfied feeling! And Christmas Garden WAS made for you, they didn't tell you? teehee...it is beautiful, as is your progress, and I know it will grace your home very soon!

You have a most wonderful stitchey 2012, ok?

Sally said...

Christmas Garden is looking beautiful. Love the colours in it.

Your quilt is gorgeous!

Melissa said...

Great start on Christmas Garden.

I love your quilt. That episode of Downton Abbey was perfect for handwork wasn't it?

I have a quilt top here waiting on binding. Unfortunately I can't find my binding. So close to finished yet so very far!

Happy New Year!

Tanya said...

Stunning quilt!!

Tanya

Minnie said...

Christmas Garden is lovely and your quilt is awsome. Love those colors.

Patty C. said...

Awesome work - Lovely quilt !!!!

Nicole said...

Beautiful start on Christmas Garden. I love the fabric you're using! Your quilt turned out so pretty too - congrats on the finish!!

Nicole said...

Beautiful start on Christmas Garden. I love the fabric you're using! Your quilt turned out so pretty too - congrats on the finish!!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Love seeing your progress on Christmas Garden. So glad you found some extra time to work on it. The quilt is magnificent! To be talented in stitching as well as quilt making is such a gift!
Linda C.

Mindi said...

Great start on Christmas Garden, the colors are looking fabulous on the fabric you chose.

Love your toile quilt, its gorgeous! Congratulations on the finish.

valerie said...

Beautiful quilt! And you've made a great start on Christmas Garden. So many people are stitching this one!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Beautiful start on Christmas Garden. I feel like I'm getting sucked into it myself....it's so pretty!

Loving your red voile quilt. The scale of the prints you used go so well together but still show off the wonderfully.

Jenny said...

I love your quilt!!!!! It is absolutely beautiful and your start on Christmas Garden is great. That pattern is a must have for me too sometime this year as well. I hope you are having a good start to the new year.

Karen said...

How pretty... I really need to add this one to my stash! Love that red quilt too... that's quite a finish.

happy stitching...

Katrina said...

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous and I love, love, love Christmas Garden :-).

Lynn said...

OMG, your quilt is amazing!! I truly wish I could quilt when I see something this beautiful.

I fell in love with Christmas Garden when I first saw it. I used some of my Christmas cash to order it from Theresa at Shakespeares Peddler. She has done a silk conversion and I can't wait until the mailman delivers it!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Hi Marcia! I have been so out of the blogging world for the past few months, I was unaware of the new BBD Christmas Garden sampler. Gorgeous start you've got going.

Your quilt is fantastic - love the red - one of my very favorite colors! Yes! It is a good feeling to get something (I'd take anything) finished.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wonderful start on Christmas Garden. I LOVE your quilt - what a beautiful finish.

Siobhán said...

Oh Marsha, I LOOOOVE your start on Christmas Garden! I'm trying to make myself do some more work on WIPs before I start mine but I'm enjoying seeing people's starts.

The quilt is so pretty--love that toile!

Michelle said...

Love your Christmas Garden - it's so pretty on that fabric. And I love love love the toile quilt...can it come to live at my house???

Milly~ said...

Wow I just love the quilt. You new WIP is nice too and I look forward to seeing your progress.