Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pioneer Wannabe-First Stop

My sincerest apologies to those who have checked my blog and seen the same old post for the past weeks. There is no stitching or quilting in this one, so I honestly will not take offense if you shut me down this minute. We took a week off from working and did the historical thing. I have a fetish for the pioneer days. I honestly think I could live in that time period if I had a place to recharge my Nook. I'm sure I am thinking that because I don't have to travel by wagon. I'm not sure when it started. I'm not old enough to even have parents who went out west to homestead--mine actually homesteaded in Great Lakes, IL, where my dad was in the Navy. But somehow, I got lost on the prairie and am quite obsessed about going back to that century. My husband, being the good man that he is, took me to the museum below, in our good state, mind you, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven..in the past week I have been off work, I think I took almost 400 pictures, but I promise not to post them all. :) But here are some random ones I took at the one place..and I have 2 more groups I will share over the next couple of days, or as time permits.



In the photo below, the word that is partially missing is "Veterinary." We saw this good doc's surgical notes in detail...fascinating, to say the least, reading about tissue samples from what we would consider wild animals.


While all of this set-up is not authentic, it was just so you could see how they might have set up camp. This one kinda turned me off, what with that prairie schooner being so newly stained, but it was still kinda neat to see what kinds of goodies they took along.




Tatting


I'm not sure if this was gross or neat.


Close up of the "hair wreath"





Tatting



And then I about pooped my knickers..I'm sure the first time I read Louise May Alcott's Little Women I was too young, but I have read this book twice that I can remember..just not this particular copy. Omg..I fogged up the glass when I saw this set of books. I was about ready to trade my good DH in on these, but since I have no sense of direction at all, I figured I'd better keep him...what a treasure these are, and I feel certain there were cameras watching my every move.


Thank you, as always, for sharing part of your day with me. Next time I will share the homestead we visited.

13 comments:

Margaret said...

Ok, that looks like one cool museum! Wow! Thanks for all the pictures, I really enjoyed them! And Little Women! lol! I'm a big fan too! Have you read "The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott?" I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. It was pretty good!

Littlebit said...

Margaret, thank you! I have not read that book nor even heard of it, but I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

Berit said...

What beautiful old books! Seems like you had a great time, and your DH is a keeper for accompanying you!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

What a fun day! Love the old books and that hair wreath - weird and cool all at the same time!

Deb said...

What a great post and pictures. I've never even heard of a hair wreath and I have several books dealing with the things that you saw. I don't know if those are cool or not - maybe a little weird.

Jackie's Stitches said...

It looks like a great place. Did you ever see the reality TV show on PBS about Pioneer Life? It tarnished my thought that living back then would be fun. It was very interesting though.

mainely stitching said...

Oh my gosh, what a cool place to visit!!

Laurie in Iowa said...

That was fun. I feel like I've been to the museum with all your lovely photos.

Sherry said...

What a great trip! I love to do the historical trips and tours! The hair wreath is a little creepy for me but I'm sure they had to use what they could back then. I love the old books!

Paulette said...

Wow! The hair wreath was awful to me until I read the part about photography. It never occurred to me that that's really the only part of yourself you could give to a loved one. We just take photos today!
The newly-stained wagon was a great idea of what it would have looked like back then, I think. I laugh at movies that are set "way back," only to see that all of the props are made to look like antiques, when they wouldn't have been antiques back then! :)
Great pics - and I can't wait til you and dad take me to the museum! :)
LLLLY!

LoriU said...

Oh the museum looks wonderful! I always tell DH I wanted to live during the Gold Rush era out West!!

Cari said...

Wow - thanks for sharing your pics with us! The hair things have always creeped me out... whatever.... Have a great week!

Katrina said...

What a fun post! Next to Medieval and English history, I love pioneer stories. I read through the Little House on the Prairie series more than once :-).