Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pioneer--Part II and The Homestead

One of the last pictures I took at the museum..I think. There were also rooms that were from other eras, but it was a bit too modern for my tastes, so I didn't take any more.



.

The photo above and the one below are the same school room, the wood bin, obviously, being in the back.


This is a school house, but I know from history--and the bell--it doubled as a church, as well. Obviously they did not have "ramps" back then.



This little cemetary is beside the above church/school


Most of the head stones have nothing on them anymore, due to weather. This particular one has more information listed below that date, but I could not make it out.


And this is the playground for the same school/church..I indulged myself and decided to have a "swing." It was very quiet, except for the wind. No day-to-day noises, very isolated. It may sound silly, but I felt a bit overwhelmed for a couple of moments, I'm sure from reading too much about this time past. I actually got up 3 times to go back to the car, each time returning to that swing, just wishing for that glimpse of time.


This is the actual school room for the above building.


The Homestead



Quite the modern one, I might add, what with an outhouse.


I think it is absolutley beautiful.


Corn crib, though my DH had to tell me what it is.


Corn in crib.


And this is the garden spot. I "almost" was going to get my Paulette back for what she said about MY gardens but I decided to be nice, since she was taking care of Major. :)


So there you have the homestead we visited..next time, I will show you what goodies I found IN the homestead, though there were padlocks on the doors and windows. Thank you so much for spending part of your busy day with me and indulging me.

5 comments:

Berit said...

A fun tour! I love the view with the swings. :)

Margaret said...

What fun! This looks like it was a fun visit! I wouldn't have known what a corn crib was either. Thanks for sharing the tour!

Deb said...

That looks like such a neat place. It's very similar to an historic village we have in my hometown called Stoney Creek. All fourth graders have to dress up like pioneer children and attend the one room schoolhouse for two days. It's really wonderful to take part in. The pictures you took of the schoolhouse look the same as the one we have in town!

Paulette said...

I absolutely love the classroom and the swingset! I would have loved to take a swing myself. :)

And about the garden comment? Ha, ha. No doubt it would have been something about dead sticks.

LLLLLY!
Paulette

Catherine said...

It's been fun looking at all of your pics on this post and the last. I love the swings!!