Thank you for taking time out of your day to listen to me ramble...
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
My Attempt at Thrifting
Ok..I will admit here and now that I'm no Kim when it comes to finding neat things at thrifty places and identifying them as valuable. My parents, to us kids' dismay, used to love to go into the Goodwill. My dad had a fetish for tools, and I can't remember if my mom just complained about going or if she looked at anything in particular..but I remember always wanting to sit in the car, and my dad wouldn't let me. Humph..I hated going in there. I didn't have a clue what a collectable was back then..well, ok, I thought tools must be collectible, but what teenager cares? Anyhow, I honestly don't have any desire to make a trip to the local thrift stores often to see what new things have come in, but when I see all of the beautiful flower frogs that people have gotten, it really made me want to go browsing. I did..took me 5 minutes to figure out that I'm no good at finding things in such chaos. I guess I just don't know how to do it. I never see anything at all that I must have..the lady didn't even KNOW where the flower frogs were! :) Just kidding..I really have tried, but I guess you have to go more than once a year? So what is so thrifty about this post? Nothing..you would laugh if you knew how much I paid for my beautiful find at an antique place. Had I found my heart's desire--that being a PINK one--I probably would have gotten so excited I would have dropped it and had to pay for broken glass..but I love my not-so-thrifty find...Now I just need to get hold of me a pink one.
Thank you for taking time out of your day to listen to me ramble...
Thank you for taking time out of your day to listen to me ramble...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
I'm not so lucky at the thrifting either! Your not so thrifty find is beautiful!! I have been on the lookout for some of these as well.
I'm not lucky at thrifting, and I've never yet been able to walk into a Filenes and find something I wanted to wear. Repeat after me: SOMEBODY has got to pay full price! LOL. It is very pretty, and well worth whatever you paid!
It really takes a particular temperament to be suited to thrifting. I think your frog is just lovely, and wherever you found it is just fine! :D
I would definitely ramble if I found a frog as beautiful as that one. I own a "few", but I definitely am in love with this one. I think you have a marvelous find - no matter where you got it from. It's worth every cent that you paid!!
I am STILL looking to try to find you one here~~~ I love it no matter how much you paid for it!~
I'm with you regarding Thrift shops. If I do happen to walk by one, on a weekend, when I have time to kill and something catches my eye (lots of ifs), my allergies dictate that I'm in and out in about 5 minutes. Rarely do I find anything, but I do love to browse the online auctions (when I must have something!) I've had great luck over at the Bay.
lol, Marsha! You sound just like me! I used to get dragged to the Salvation Army and yard sales by my mom all the time and I despised it! I have no desire to go at all. I think it's perfectly acceptable to find a flower frog for not such thrifty prices. I'll make a confession -- I found a pink one on ebay, no thrift pricing either. lol! But I got one!
Ooooooh, sooo beautiful!! But why did you post it? Now I know one of the things you're giving me for Christmas! ROTF!!
LLLLLY!
It's beautiful Marsha! I envy Kim her skill at the thrift shops... and I confess that I don't have that skill.
I'm on a quest for vintage fiestaware... why the bug couldn't have bit me years ago, when you could pick up pieces cheaply... oh well... I'm enjoying the search.
I'd much rather go the the antique malls than the Goodwill shops anyway.
mom and I went thrifting at goodwill yesterday, too! mom didn't tell me you had invited us to the antique mall...i would have MUCH rather done that then the regular mall but my mom just haaaaad to get new tennis shoes haha :-D love you!!!
Same for me. And so my parents bought all these old stinky dirty things...
I sure love this (how do you call it? A vase?). I have seen many stitchers use such things (but not that beautiful) to display their scissors.
Gorgeous! I am not even a little bit thrifty either :-).
Love it!! I had to have one too, and asked someone who is knowledgeable about such things to find one for me...because I am no good at thrifting either. You have a beautiful find there - regardless of what you paid for it. All your pretty scissors will look lovely in it!
Obviously I am no better at thrift shopping since I haven't been able to find a frog yet! lol. Enjoy your well earned find!
Love your find! I'm not any good at thrifting either. I can't see beyond the "junk" sometimes!
I can relate, too. I love, love to watch Kim's finds that she gets SO excited about. Even when I DO see a 70s pyrex bowl, I think, where am I going to put THAT? But once in a while I stumble over something that I have to have... Your frog is so pretty - no matter where or how much!
Beautiful Flower frog!
I'm not lucky with thrifting, either. Only once have I scored something good... a nice Belleek vase. I nearly dropped it in my haste to buy it, and then thought maybe there were candid cameras around, waiting for something to pop out of the vase and shock me. LOL Good for you on the frog!
Way to shop!! I'm not sure there is any good 'thrifting' in Florida...I've yet to find anything on my ventures... But on eBay...yikes...I have to be very careful. I love your flower frog...it is very unique! Now...I too am off to find the lovely pink one!! Thanks for sharing... Hugs
We must have the same thrift stores. I'm always SO disappointed that I don't go back for a year or two. They're always full of garbage.
Post a Comment