Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do you color?

I have virtually NO talent for drawing, like my three kids do:  You all know Paulette. My blogless son makes my head swim with his designs (he's in school for CAD), and my Audrey has the most beautiful handwriting you have ever seen--they obviously get that from their dad, and I'm not ashamed to admit that no one wants to be my partner in Pictionary. My stick people don't even look like stick people. But I can color. :-) This is how I keep my place on my charts, and I've done it for years, only I color up the originals now. I know..that's cause for calling the men in white coats on me..I just can't see making a working copy anymore when everything is SO out there by the truckload now. I might make mistakes, but I never lose my place.


I've also finally decided that I've GOT to move along to something where there are no color changes. I got spoiled stitching with one color when I did Matter's Choice. I honestly never got tired of stitching with that color. So, I'm ready to begin Ann Grimshaw, and I will be using 36-count Maritime White and Crescent Colors "Bandana." I chose it because it was my perfect color, so it didn't matter whether it was silk or cotton.


I intend on making breakfast for dinner, so I tried a new recipe for Apple Streusel Muffins..They smelled absolutely summer delicious!


Thank you so much for spending some of your day with me...

20 comments:

Danielle said...

I use a highlighter on ORIGINALS as well. So, you're not alone!

Deb said...

I have to admit, that I used to use highlighters on originals too until I was doing a Mirabilia, and something happened to my piece in progress and I had to start over. I had to buy a new chart because I couldn't see the symbols under the highlighter. A lesson learned, I guess. Those patterns seemed to be expensive at the time.

Margaret said...

I don't highlight, but I don't make working copies either. I'm lazy. :D That muffin looks good! :D

Marion said...

I don't usually make working copies either.
I love reading your blog by the way, and Paulette's as well.
Drop on by my Blog sometime, if you get a minute.
Take care
Marion
Nova Scotia

Catherine said...

I don't usually mark off or make a working copy. I will make a copy if the pattern is really big, or if it is printed with symbols in the crease. I love the colors of fabric and thread you chose - you are going for a red sampler wall if I remember correctly!

OOhhhh......those muffins look delicious!! Where did you get the recipe?!?!?

Kim said...

MM that muffin looks yummy! And I cannot WAIT to see Ann come to life under your needle! Love the choices you made for her!

I don't color or mark my charts...although it would certainly make things easier sometimes!!

mainely stitching said...

GASP! You color your charts??!

Well, I still like you. ;)

Anonymous said...

I make working copies. And I have a red pen to mark what I have stitched.
Anne Grimshaw will be lovely in Bandana. I LOVE Ackworth quakers. Your muffin looks delicious.

Paulette said...

Hi Mom!

I usually make a copy of what I'm working on and mark up that if I feel like I really need to keep my place. I can't bear to mark up my originals! Even if they are out there "by the truckload!"

Those muffins look AMAZING. Beautiful photo!!

LLLLLLLLLLLLY!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Oh, I think Ann is going to look gorgeous stitched in Bandana. I want to jump through my computer screen and grab that delicious looking muffin.

Sherry said...

Good idea about the coloring. I should give it a try sometime. I can smell that muffin from here! What a perfect color for Ann.

Berit said...

I don't mark my originals or copies. Sometimes I make a copy, but more often I just look at it through the "clear file" I put it in.

I do (well, can) draw, however, and went to art school 'n everything! ;)

What a beautiful Belle Soie! So luxurious. :) Can't wait for your start.

Cyn said...

Hi,

No I don't color as I stitch but I usually don't have any problems following the pattern. Just the way I see things I guess. :-)

I usually use the recommended fabric as I figure that I like what the designer did so if I want the same look I should follow the fabric and thread selection. Though I do sometimes mix things up. Especially in all of one color designs. I know many stitch in red but I prefer blue. :-)

Okay, now I'm hungry for muffins! And I have a batch of fresh cookies cooling right now. Hmmm... muffins tomorrow to eat after digging out from all of that snow? Sounds like a plan!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Siobhán said...

LOL about the stick people comment!! Too cute. ;) I haven't had to color my charts yet--though I did with a Mirabilia or two in years past--but now I have a Daylight lamp with a chart clamp. I have the chart as close as I can get it so I just turn my head and it's there.

Your choices for Ann are wonderful--I am excited about watching your progress! I got gung ho about starting Ann, put in about three strands, and it just sits there now. I want to stitch her beautiful sampler, I love the materials I chose (40 ct Light Cappuchino with CC Black Coffee... it'd be my ode to the coffee bean...) but I just have too many other things going on that I want to stitch. And now Paulette is tormenting... I mean, pleasing... me with all these new designs, too! ;)

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

I don't highlight, and really it's only been on Miribilia that I marked up to keep my place, but I do it in pencil. I have too much fear of dropping the highlighter on my stitching (this happened to a friend of mine). The muffin looks soooo yummy. I think I need the recipe! And your color choice for Ann is perfect. I can't get enough red!

Bre said...

MEEEMZERS!!! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36993352 can you teach me how to knit these!!! I'm in love. ok , your muffins look delicious, mail me some treats :) ha ha ha

StitchinByTheLake said...

That muffin looks yummy! blessings, marlene

Katrina said...

Love your Ann Grimshaw colors and the muffins look yummy.

I do make working copies but I don't highlight :-).

BrendaS said...

Anxious to see your new start. I love the Bandana color too!

Muffins look yummy!

Happey Valentine's Day.

Teri said...

Oh I so related to your post. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but I sure can color within the lines! I use a highlighter to keep my place on large charts, but I like your "color" process even better!