Saturday, January 30, 2010

Yukky Saturday

If we don't get some sun pretty soon, I'm sure I shall forget what it looks like, but good Saturday afternoon, anyway. It's been around 2 weeks since I updated here. I've been wanting to, but I cannot seem to make any headway with my stitching. I have been stitching just about every single evening for at least an hour, sometimes three! I browse all of my favorite blogs, and even those of you who work more hours than I do seem to get five times as much stitching done as I do..I just don't understand. I will say, sometimes it is a bit discouraging--not that you get so much done but that I don't get enough done--I must just get up and down over much and talk on the phone too much!? Anyhow, here is my wee progress on Village, block #10. And just think..I've only been piddling at this for nigh onto THREE YEARS!! (How embarrassing)
So today being Saturday and dark and cold and still too many feet of ugly black snow on the ground, I haven't stitched, but I fixed a big pot of red potato soup, which is my favorite..bacon, onion, celery, cream, just a sprinkling of cheese on top and it's heavenly. Sorry about the glare..I'm sure there must be something healthy underneath it.

And I couldn't have just soup and salad for lunch..I needed something sweet, so I made some cranberry-oat muffins: The jury is still out on this, since it's a new recipe
 and I was too full from the soup and salad to bother.
My poor Major Pain..he had this horrible lipoma on his chest, which I understand is very common in labs and retrievers. He had surgery yesterday, and I nearly fainted when I saw how yuk his chest looks. I will spare you the details, but he's not feeling very well today. For those of you who might not know, not that it matters, this is Friday's brother. He's more of an outdoor boy so not quite as "gentle" as his brother, but he's the sweetest thing.

And lastly, I forgot to show you one of the bundles of fabric I got for Christmas from Paulette. It's Civil War Homefront, and I'm sure it came from Threadheads! I can't wait to play with it.
I'm sure Paulette is about to cringe at whatever setting my camera is on, since these look rather pale than they really are..but if I add playing with my camera settings to my day, I'll get even less stitching done. :-) I do thank you for stopping by, as always.

18 comments:

Faye said...

Dreary day here in NC too!! Keep stitching, you are making good progress....Now, that soup looks yummo!~~~ Faye

Catherine said...

Your stitching looks great! Don't worry about speed, whoever said it was a race anyway?

Poor pup, I do hope he is feeling better, he looks so sad.

Your soup looks yummy! Especially with the temps in the teens right now and the snow a blowin' in the breeze!

And that fabric - beautiful - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Enjoy your weekend!

Kim said...

MM I am loving your HRH piece and am going to have to dive in and start one of those! It looks wonderful! And the soup...YUM!! Poor Major. :o( Sam (Our lab/retriever mix) has some cyst like lumps just below his neck too. He's going to have to go under at some point to remove them as well. Poor puppy Major. Hug him for me! I'm off to bake cookies and then maybe I will stitch too!

Sherry said...

Faye is right about it being dreary in NC today. Ohhh, I love all that fabric! I can just imagine running my fingers through it all!

Yum, homemade soup is just the best! I hope Major feels better soon! Bless his heart!

I feel like everyone works faster than me too. Maybe they all know something we don't! lol.

Berit said...

Your soup looks so delicious! Poor Major! I can definitely see the "family resemblance" he and Friday share! ;)

I also somehow wish to see this post-op, though I'm sure I'd have blanced and muttered "Did she really have to?!" lol! That's humanity, I guess!

I'm curious to hear what you think of the news that pics of "Autumn" should be appearing soon. You can't be the slowest, that belongs to me. :D Though I do think I'm improving.

Margaret said...

Marsha, your Village is gorgeous! Speed isn't what matters -- perseverance counts and you definitely have that! Your fabrics are gorgeous too -- what yummy goodness that is! And that soup! Is there a recipe? Soup is my favorite thing in the whole world! Hope Major feels better, poor thing. :(

BrendaS said...

Any stitching progress is better than nothing and all the little bits of time add up to a finished project. You are almost there and it looks great!

The soup looks YUMMO. Please share the recipe.

Have fun with your fabric.

It's a gray day here in the Chicago area. I am so ready for warm spring weather with beautiful green on all the trees and shrubs. Maybe even some pretty tulips!

Have a good one.

BrendaS

Laurie in Iowa said...

Ahh...poor sweet pup, I hope he recovers soon. He looks so sad. YOur Village looks wonderful! I'm drooling over that lovely stack of Civil War era fabrics. Can't wait to see what you'll make with them.

mainely stitching said...

Sorry for your doggie - I hope the recovery will be quick & complete. I come over all weak at the knees when the vet has to do anything at all to our furbabies.

Your soup looks and sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Awww....poor Major. I hope he's feeling better soon and that the surgery was a success.
Your stitching looks great too. And it doesn't matter how long it takes to finish a project. Having fun while stitching is the only thing that matters in my humble opinion.
The fabrics are looking great. What are you going to make with them?

DebbieSFL said...

Soup and muffins look wonderful---share the recipes? And don't try and compare your stitching speed to anyone but yourself---just remember, the tortoise won the race, not the hare!!

Paulette said...

Oh, poor poor Major!! He looks absolutely miserable.. :( I should bring him some sneaky-cookies! ;)

Your stitching looks wonderful, as always. I can't believe how far you've gotten on that Village, considering how little time you actually do get to stitch. I think I've got 1 block done, and we started at the same time! LOL

LLLLLY!

Siobhán said...

Awww, your poor pup. I hope he recovers quickly.

Your stitching is wonderful, Marsha! I get a lot done because the extent of my social life is talking to a cashier at the grocery store. You know, "Yes, I have a Value Club Card" or "I need 20 euro back, please" doesn't take a lot of time. ;) FABULOUS fabrics from Paulette!

Kathy said...

I always love to see your work and it's beautiful but this morning the soup is really singing to me. I see that I'm not the only one making a request for the recipe. I absolutely love having a pot of soup for the weekends, especially when it's cold like it is now.

Michelle said...

Love all your fabric. And I'll be happy to come over and try out the soup and muffins!! VOHRH is looking fabulous. Just remember every stitch is progress!!!

Deb said...

Well, don't feel too bad about the length of time it's taken to work on Village. I started mine three years ago and never got off block #1. LOL

All that fabric looks wonderful!! I can't wait to see what you make out of all of it!

And the soup looks so good! Our temps are so cold here you don't even want to go outside!!!

LoriU said...

I just wanted to say that I SO enjoy your blog, and your humor! I wish I had a mom like you!

Katrina said...

Paulette is a camera expert, us novices have to stick together ;-).

Love that civil war fabric, I have a few cuts of it. It's so pretty. And you HRH piece is really coming along.

Poor baby boy, hope he's much better and everything is healing nicely. Our poor Shelby had the same thing and I didn't realize what a big deal it was to get it taken off and I waited too long and then it couldn't be done. Hers was huge and I always felt so guilty about that.