Sunday, January 31, 2010

Soup Pot...


I will try my best to go through the soup recipe. My problem is that I rarely leave any recipe as is. I think soup is something you really cannot mess up, so feel free to tweak this any way you want:

Red potatoes--I used 5 med-large. I'm sure you could use any type potato or combination of potatoes. Cut into small chunks. Place in about 4 cups of salted water. Cook until tender.

Saute the following in a large soup pot until vegetables are tender and bacon is cooked. It will leave the sticky brown stuff in the bottom of the pan, which adds even more flavor:

Large onion--I never buy anything but sweet onions, so this is what I use. Dice.
Celery--3 ribs--finely dice.
Bacon--I use 3 pieces and chop it up good.
Pepper--personal preference. I use a lot of fresh ground.

After the celery, onion, bacon are cooked, pour the potatoes and the water into that pot and stir it from the bottom to loosen up all of that flavor.

Next add about 8 cups of milk--I happen to only use 2%, so that is what it gets.

Add 3 tablespoons of chicken boullion granules.

While this is simmering--don't boil!--I put maybe half a stick of butter and 2 heaping tablespoons of flour in a pan and melt it down..then I slowly add 1 cup of cream,. Whisk well. I always, always have Half & Half on hand, so that is what I use..just mix it all up really well and then add that to the soup in the pot. It acts as a thickener, but you may want more, depending on how thick you like it.

Add as much fresh parsley as you like. I've never tried dry parsley with this. And let it just sit there and simmer until you're ready for it, stirring well so that nothing sticks to the bottom.

When I serve it (to just ME, since my husband doesn't eat soup), I put a sprinkling of shredded cheese and maybe some chives on top.

If you have any questions, please leave your Email and I will try to get back to you..but you really cannot go wrong with soup. Enjoy!

14 comments:

~Judy~ said...

Thank you so much for the soup recipe. I will be making this for dure. Speaking of recipes...would it be possible for you to either e-mail me or post the recipe for your awesom looking coconut butter creams??!! PRETTY PLEASE...with sugar on top!

Thanks!
judithapoulos@aol.com

Littlebit said...

LoL! Judy..I will get that to you on my next break, but you definitely don't need sugar on top...just a few miles on the elliptical!

Margaret said...

Thank you, Marsha! I'm going to copy this out so I can try it out. I just love soup!!! This sounds scrumptious!

Berit said...

A Husband who doesn't like soup?!--I had no idea there was such an animal. My dear boyfriend would be on your doorstep in a skinny minute if I showed him this soup photo. Potatoes are his favorite. After rice, of course.

Catherine said...

Oh so yummy looking! Thanks for sharing!

DonnaTN said...

It sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Marnie said...

I can't wait to try this soup! My mouth is watering.

Marion said...

Oh my!! This soup sounds absolutely delicious!!!! We are in a cold spell, so it would be delicious for supper!
Thank you for sharing!!!
Take care
Marion

Bre said...

soup looks yummy, mail me some! blog is back up in action. love and miss you!

Paulette said...

This soup is fantastic, but even better when a Mommy makes it. ;)

Quit hogging it all to yourself. My freezer is empty.

LLLLLLLY!

Cyn said...

Hi LilBit,

Found your blog when I wandered over from Paulett's blog! I love your blog title as that's what we refer to all of the yet unborn little ones about to join our families. Until they have their names, they are LilBit's! :-)

Enjoyed reading all of the entries on your blog. The stitching is wonderful and I've also enjoyed seeing and reading about your quilting adventures. I keep thinking about making a quilt and I'm getting close to taking the plunge. LOL!

It's snowing here and now I'm craving Potato Soup but it's too late to start a pot cooking!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Marnie said...

Just wanted to let you know I made your delicious soup tonight. It hit the spot! Hubby and MIL send their thanks!

Katrina said...

Soup looks yummy, I am going to try making some tonight :-).

BrendaS said...

Thank you very much for the recipe. I will definitely be trying this out.

BrendaS