Saturday, December 19, 2009

Holiday meanderings...

I hope everyone is having a wonderful December. We are still in a deep freeze here in Nebraska. Still have ugly snow that has been plowed up with the dirt and refuses to melt. But it's warm and cozy INside..

I've been so busy the past week, as I am sure all of you have been as well. But it's the best time of the year in spite of being comatose once my head hits the pillow at night. I just finished making a huge amount of coconut-butter creams. They are time intense but worth it. I don't dare even try one yet, because once I eat that first one, there is no turning back.

I have made chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, tea cakes, and I've decorated dozens of cookies...

My little hand towels even got finished...

And last night, Sophie and I had our second annual Gingerbread House decorate-off. :-)

Sophie absolutely LOVES doing anything creative, and she has always loved helping out in the kitchen, something my own girls never really enjoyed, but both turned out to be good cooks, despite.



She had more icing on her and candy in her tummy than ended up on the house, I think, so into the tub for a good dunking. She didn't have time to get her hair combed out before mom was here to pick her up..but she did a lovely job on her house. Sophie, I loved our evening together, even though you left ME with all the mess! :-)

I cannot remember where I got the idea, but I needed some votive holders and decided I didn't like spending $30 each for them, so I put my own together...two VERY inexpensive pieces.

I scrubbed off the labels with an eraser and then used alcohol to get rid of any residue.

Gotta have Super Glue...

They came out sparkly clean after washing and using alcohol...

Glue top to base...

Ta-Da! About $2 each, and you can use them for candies or anything.

I guess that's it for now. More baking to do..

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh how lovely! Love your towels and your baking. And the gingerbread house bake-off looks like it was fun too! Sophie is getting so grown up looking -- it's rather scary to see that! They grow up too fast! And your votive holders -- what a great idea! Thanks for the tip on getting labels off too. We have a bunch we need to get rid of so it's good to know. :D Enjoy your Christmas!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Sophie's gingerbread house looks fantastic! I tried one years ago and honestly hers look way better than mine!

What a great idea for the candle holders.

Catherine said...

Everything looks great! Love the idea for the votives. Sophie sure looks like she had a great time!

DebbieSFL said...

I love your votive idea!!! And Sophie is so fun!!!

Paulette said...

What are you talking about? The only way we ever got dessert in the house was if *I* made it! LOLOL

LLLLLY!
Paulette

P.S. Sophie may have left you with the mess, but you left me with a sugar-rushed, hyperactive kid. We're even.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your treats all look yummy. Love the towels. What fun you and Sophie had with your gingerbread house. The memories are worth the mess.

Merry Christmas!

Kim said...

MM your candy looks YUMMY! The gingerbread house turned out wonderful and LOVE the idea for the votives! I'll have to start picking up stray candlestick holders on my thrifty ventures!! Wonderful tea towels too! {{{hugs}}}

Barbara said...

Oh the candy looks wonderful! I start my baking tomorrow unless of course you'd like to send me some of....oh nevermind. :)

The idea for the votice cups is great, I'm going to have to get some crazy glue and try it.

~Judy~ said...

Those Coconut Butter Creams look so good! Thay are my Dad's favorite. Would you mind posting your recipe for these....I would love to make him some for his birthday later this month. Thanks so much.
Your stitching is awesome....I guess it runs in the family!!

Insect Pest Control Newport Beach said...

This was great to read, thank you.